In Philadelphia, a report finds that open space
- Increases homeowners’ property values by an average of $10,000;
- Supports nearly 7,000 jobs and generates $271 million in annual salaries and $30 million in state and local tax revenue;
- Generates more than $566 million in annual spending;
- Saves businesses $500 million in workers’ compensation and costs related to lost productivity;
- Spares local governments and utilities more than $132 million a year in costs associated with environmental services such as flood control and drinking-water filtration, and,
- Helps open-space users avoid $795 million in medical expenses and businesses avoid $485 million in lost-productivity costs.